Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Can you believe it?!?!

I'm actually posting! *cheers* I'm really proud of myself. Like, really.

This semester has been absolutely insane, but in a good way! From getting only 3-4 hours sleep most nights (0 hours some nights!) to single-handedly raising well over $2000 for cancer research and having almost every one of my 44 students pass their Spanish class, I feel like the semester has been an achievement and a half. I even got a decent mark in both of the classes I'm taking (who would have thunk it??).

Jokes aside, I love being busy, so I've thrived this semester. But I've also neglected this poor little blog. That's why around Christmastime--when I'm neither teaching nor learning--I'm trying to catch up with my online life a little. I missed it. Mostly, I missed you!

So...what's happened since I last posted? Maybe I should do this by months...

September. My third roommate Stewart moved into my house, and it turns out I like the kid. He smokes a little more weed than I'd like, but he's good-natured, does his chores and pays his rent on time, and what more can you ask for in a roommate? And I started my classes. I was taking 2 classes and teaching 3 (a very heavy workload, if you're not familiar with what's involved in teaching). This was the period where I literally did not get more than 4 hours sleep on any given night for about a month. I also started a fundraising campaign for the local Cancer Foundation, with a goal to raise a few thousand dollars for them, and also to cut off my hair (which, for those who don't know, was over 3 feet long) so it could be made into wigs for children who've lost their hair to cancer treatments. I set my birthday (December 12th) as the deadline.

October. One of my very good friends, Bettina, got married! I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make the wedding cake and they were just tickled pink with it, which (of course) tickled me pink as well! I also took a trip to New York City for the first time, and it was absolutely amazing! Mariana began to make it obvious that she doesn't like Stewart and doesn't feel like she has to be courteous to him. Things like ignoring him when he speaks to her and leaving him nasty notes when he does something she doesn't like began to happen about now.

November. The shit hit the fan with me and Mariana. We had a very ugly argument and I decided she was not someone I want in my life anymore. She cried and ranted and I (impressively sternly) told her to either stop talking to me or move out. So she's still here, thankfully leaving me the hell alone now, but the first month was very dramatic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't counting down the days until she moves out!

December. My famous birthday party, where I cut off my hair. It's really short now. Think Emma Watson's new hair. I'm absolutely loving it! (I can shower in 2 minutes now!) I managed to raise $2370 for the Cancer Foundation, which is not too shabby! I've finished my classes, and just completed marking the exams, and I'm happy to say that almost every single one of my 44 students has passed! (With some students, there was never any hope, because they just don't care. But everyone who WASN'T one of those passed!) I also had a huge Christmas gathering at my place, with my whole family (that's 16 people!) coming over for a turkey dinner and a gay old time. It was amazing. I even got to hold my baby cousin!

That's the past few months in a nutshell. Next up: a New Year's party on Friday at my place and maybe finding a part-time job in the New Year. I'm only teaching one class this semester, which is a significant pay cut, and yet my rent remains the same. Unless I'd like to go hungry, I feel like a little additional income is a good idea!

I feel a little stressed out about my finances, but really, I've never been more content with where I am in my life. And I look like a boy now, but I feel so much more womanly than ever before--how does that work, exactly?! Things are good, and I hope things are also good for all of you.

I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lucy said...

OMG JADE!! Thank you for stopping by to visit me and taking time off to say hi! AND BLOG!! I HAVE MISSED YOUR BLOG !! I check back every now and then so see what you have been up too, and now you've blogged so I'm going to leave you a hefty comment, don't mind that.
I didn't know you are teaching as well!! Are you done with your Ph.D studies?? I'm about to take my MCATs in April (YIKES!)
Congrats on raising that much money for cancer and your students passing!!You must be a good teacher!

Do you have pictures of your cake!? I'd love to see your creation!!
I"m sorry that your friendship had to end like that, it just sucks. I went through my fair share of drama with my roommate and for now things have calmed but I haven't spoken to her since I moved out because I don't know what to say to her anymore.

Your Christmas sounded amazing and I wish you nothing but the best with your studies and your teaching!! Good luck with the job hunt! YOu can do it, you have a great personality and work ethic!!

Glad to hear from you Jade!
I miss you so.

January 1, 2011 at 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Jen said...

Wow it sounds like the end of 2010 was pretty amazing! Congrats on staying sane with so little sleep lol!

January 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home